Baby Quilt to Big Girl Bed & Chandelier

by CHERI on January 6, 2010

any time you see this button, I have a GIVE-A-WAY going on.

In Honor of Miss G4s Birthday I am doing a post on her room.  Happy 3rd birthday sweetie.

I was featured at www.remodelaholic.com today. She did a sweet post about Miss G4s room. She is so sweet and has been so fun getting to know. go check out her post.

This is Miss G4’s room (before we moved) and although I sold her toddler sleigh bed-that I painted and roughed up to look shabby-before we moved because she was going to go into a BIG girl bed.  I made her baby/toddler bed comforter,curtains, bedskirt etc and added to her bedspread-when she got into her real big girl bed. I’ll show her comforter later in this postI love it-it’s so girly. I made it all without a pattern.

The dresser was so disgusting when we got it (there was magic marker and finger nail polish all over the top),I kilzed and painted it, sanded and roughed it up, added new hardware and onlays and it came out OH SO FABULOUS.
The only thing in this room that I did not do completely by myself is her mirror. I added the onlays that made it just perfect for her shabby chic room, then painted, sanded and roughed it up.

Our sweet Miss Goo-she was so proud of her room and loved taking anyone who came over to show them her room and her “big” girl bed.

I also made her curtains-they reminded me of a crown.

Here is the chandelier I made

I did her chandelier as well and made the tea cups that are on the chandelier.I literally started with greenware then cut a hole in the bottom just big enough to go over the fixture, had them fired, then painted them.. They came out a totally different color than the sample-they looked peach and it clashed so bad.  I called the man who owned the shop and he suggested painting over them white–well that DID NOT work so we started all over again, this time I was just going with white.

Weeks went by and I had not heard on my tea cups.  I finally was able to talk with the owner and the cups literally melted in the kiln–ugh.

He offered to do them for me a third time at no cost this time–but he took months to get them done and they still did a weird thing in the kiln but they came out so unique and different and I love them–I  told you how to do a tea cup to go over the fixture but I can not tell you how to get that technique again.  He said in all his years of doing ceramics he had never seen a piece do that and he had people leaving their names wanting them if I walked away from them.

In all those months that he took here are a few of the episodes that took place–it’s amazing we ended up with any teacups at all.  If you look close at the chandelier you will notice that we are one tea cup and saucer short. I began making her tea cups and saucers over a month before her 1 year birthday and we had one problem after another. My husband went to pick them up for me. This was the 3rd or 4th time the cups were being picked up. He got home and I opened them and we had one too few cups and saucers and the color was totally wrong again. We finally got the cups and saucers 11 months after I began the process and only because we were moving so they were never on her chandelier in her room at the old house. I also made the lampshades with an adorable pink rose bud chenille.

This is a close up of the lampshade. Don’t you just love that material?

I need to extend the stem that the light goes into so the lampshades sit a little higher up but I can deal with it till I can get to it. The tea cups came out so unique, it was a quirky thing that happened with them-the gentleman that owned the ceramic shop where I made them called me to come look at them and he said there is no way he could ever make them do this again. He had people asking if they could buy them from him. I think they add to the shabby chic look of the chandelier. I love them. They are one of a kind and that fits right in with my eclectic style.

I worked on the dresser-I so wish I had a before picture-you would be inspired to look at something very ugly and imagine the beauty it could be. Look at that sweet shawl just to the left of her made from scratch mirror-isn’t that so cute. I picked that up at a children’s consignment shop.

I bought the hutch in her room before I was ever married. It was just a solid wood, no stain or sealer. My husband thought I was crazy when I decided to paint it white but once I had it painted he liked it. The olive green glass vase is something I got from my Grandmother’s house and I treasure it. I made most of the blankets on the shelf and made all the basket liners to go inside the baskets-much cheaper than buying the already lined baskets or buying the basket liners. I did not want them all the same-I wanted it to look eclectic-mis matched-Shabby chic so I made each one a little different.

I guess there are several Metamorphis’ that went on but the one I am focusing on is Miss G4’s baby quilt transformation that went from this:

to this:

As I was making her baby quilt I just loved it so much that I decided to make it so that I could add to it, eventually.

Miss G4 loves pink so it is a good thing I made her bedding in pink.

I hand made the chenille that is around the center flower and leaves.

Lots of different kinds of pink, shabby chic fabrics and hand quilting to make it Oh So Shabby Chic.

I scalloped the bottom of the diamond quilted fabric and added roses. I hand made all of the roses for the bottom of the quilt.

I think this shows that I can sew and enjoy things that I create the pattern for. I did not make any of her bedding, bed skirt, curtains etc from a pattern-it was all created in my head with a pattern.

Little Girl you still love make up and I can not believe you turn 3 years old today.  You have rocked our world and made us all better people just by being here.

I will post to

giveaways

1 Pat January 6, 2010 at 9:25 pm

I don't know how you do it! All of it is so unique and absolutely beautiful. The time factor alone baffles me ~ you have to be a very organized person my friend. 🙂 Miss G4 is a very lucky little girl to have such a gorgeous room! Happy Birthday to her ~ and many more.

2 Brook January 6, 2010 at 10:01 pm

What a blessed little girl to have such a beautiful room and such talented and creative parents!

3 Yansy January 6, 2010 at 10:03 pm

Hey Girl,

I'm just taking some time to stop by. Hope all is well and Happy New Year!

4 ALVN of WhisperWood Cottage and Junkologie January 6, 2010 at 10:45 pm

Is there anything you can't do? I didn't think so!! So cute! It must be a wonderful feeling to create such a personal space for someone you love. I'm digging how you made the quilt bigger…such a great idea!! You can tell she loves everything about her big girl room.

Amy

5 All My Yesterdays January 6, 2010 at 11:11 pm

Great creations for a sweet little gal… Happy 3rd to her!

6 xinex January 6, 2010 at 11:53 pm

Your daughter's bedroom is adorable. Happy birthday to the cute 3 year old!….Christine

7 welovetucker January 7, 2010 at 12:02 am

So cute. Love her room. She looks like she loves it too. Thanks for sharing.

8 Anny January 7, 2010 at 12:55 am

WOW this is soooo pretty! I love the teacups even if they took almost a year to get 🙂

9 Stephanie Lynn January 7, 2010 at 1:33 am

Wow, Wow, Wow, Wow, Wow…every detail is stunning! What an amazing job. The room is gorgeous and so pretty. What a lucky girl to have such a creative mommy.

10 Queen "B" January 7, 2010 at 2:25 am

Aloha,
dropped in via May, currently on tour! love her, and love your blog, I look forward to seeing more
New Year Wishes from across the Sea
Brandi

11 Cindy (Applestone Cottage) January 7, 2010 at 4:33 am

What a gorgeous room, very creative, the chandelier is amazing! Your daughter is adorable, I only wish your pics were bigger as they are very fun to look at! Cindy

12 michelle@somedaycrafts January 7, 2010 at 9:21 am

wOW! Beautiful!!!

13 pk @ Room Remix January 7, 2010 at 3:16 pm

The room is so cute, and so is your daughter! Hope you're having a great 2010 so far…

14 Vanessa January 7, 2010 at 3:50 pm

Super cute room! I love the chandelier and the curtains. I also love how you made her quilt larger to fit her twin bed! I actually cut down my daughter's baby quilt and she uses it in her babydoll bed now.

15 Jennie January 7, 2010 at 11:50 pm

Thank you! I am currently getting ready to decorate my little girls room. After 3 boys I feel so lost. You have given me lots of fun ideas. Thanks again. Jennie @ Cinnaberry Suite

16 Martha January 8, 2010 at 2:22 am

Beautiful room! I love it! 🙂
Martha

17 Susan January 8, 2010 at 12:34 pm

wow!

it's a little too pink for me, but i love it anyway! the chandelier with the teacups!!! eee! and the dresser and everything. wow. great job, mama!

18 trish January 10, 2010 at 3:16 pm

Oh I just love all the textures you have in your pretty room! And what a darling smile on that sweet little girl of yours! :o)
– Trish

19 Lisa B. January 10, 2010 at 4:15 pm

What a beautiful room!! Your little girl is such a cutie!!

20 Melissa from My Cottage Charm April 15, 2010 at 4:28 pm

Cheri,
Thanks so much for linking up your room to my Treasures and Trinkets Thursday, I appreciate you! 🙂 I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE your daughters room! I could stay in there myself! LOL I adore all those textures and colors and shabby finishes! Ohhh so sweet!! I am going to make that chandelier for my back porch….I have that exact chandelier and have been trying to figure out how to put candles in it, the teacups will work great! 🙂 Thanks for the inspiration! 🙂
Thanks again for your link up!

21 robyn April 15, 2010 at 8:15 pm

OH my goodness, this room is ADORABLE AND DELIGHTFUL! I love it!

22 caroline @ c.w.frosting April 6, 2011 at 11:52 am

Adorable chandelier! Yes, you MUST make the candles to go with, they’re super easy!

23 malia June 22, 2012 at 8:13 am

Lovely project(s) and your little girl is a doll!
malia recently posted..Pinterest Party #37: Guest Hostess Design, Dining + DiapersMy Profile

24 Theresa A October 30, 2012 at 8:59 am

Absolutely gorgeous!! I love all of it!! That chandelier is amazing !!! Thank you for sharing!! What a wonderful blog you have here!! Hugs & Smiles
Theresa A recently posted..Revamping AccessoriesMy Profile