A day in the life of Cheri

by CHERI on July 30, 2010

Yesterday was a CRAZY DAY–we have been out of town for almost 2 weeks.

We had planned on going over to Anna Maria Island but G3 woke up a little queezy and pale. After a few hours he was running around so we decided to go ahead and go and so glad we did. We wanted to go the this restaurant that has been featured in Southern Living Magazine as one of the BEST breakfasts in Florida. The County gave the restaurants license to someone else and after years and years of being on the beach, they are closing this weekend.

I had a BELGIUM WAFFLE with Vanilla ice cream, strawberries, pecans and whipped cream.

We needed to go about 30-40 minutes away because my husbands new i-phone quit working. Miss G4 needed to go to the bathroom, so I took her in and as we walked back to the car, I had a strange pain in my stomach and thought I was getting a bladder infection.

By the time my hubby got to the car I told him I thought we needed to go get some AZO. We got on the highway and all of a sudden I had a terrible pain in my side and I was asking my husband about the appendix. No sooner did I get the question out and the pain shot around to my side and continued to get worse but would come in waves. As we drove our plans were changing by the minute. I had sweat dripping off of me. We got to the house we are staying at, I headed for the bathroom and crawled into the shower. Nothing was helping the pain level. I tried laying in different postions, walked the floors, laid on a hot water bottle, moaned and groaned. On a scale of 1-10 my pain level was a 12. Labor is a cake walk. My husband asked about getting the kids a couple of movies at the red box (about 5 minutes away) before he ran me to the hospital and I thought it was a good idea to help the big boys keep the little ones entertained. The kids were all really concerned about me and that would help keep their minds busy.

Before he could get back the pain level had gone up to a 15, I was sick and I could not even think about leaning over to change from my pajamas to clothes. He walked in and I was begging for him to call an ambulance. I have never been in an ambulance but the pain level was THAT bad (and I have a pretty high pain tolerance). I was so out of it and was concentrating on just dealing with the pain, it as hard to think and answer questions. The paramedics finally gave me some meds that make you very sleepy but my heart rate was so slow they were concerned and didn’t want me to doze at all. They couldn’t believe how low it was because typically ity is high when you are in that much pain. They were taking pictures of my heart in the ambulance and I can report that everything they tested me for in the ambulance and at the hospital came back great EXCEPT — I was having a Kidney Stone ATTACK. OUCH!!! So I am drugged up on 3 meds, as I try to pass it.

We won’t be heading to the parks today–

1 Hanneke Nelson July 30, 2010 at 10:26 am

I have never experienced one myself (knock on wood), but I have heard about this before. You poor thing, that is no fun, to put it mildly. I hope it passes very quickly, and in the mean time, take it easy for a couple of days. Something tells me relaxing and doing nothing does not come naturally to you, but we all need it from time to time. Be well!

Hanneke

2 Tracy July 30, 2010 at 11:20 am

When I received my copy of the Islander I could not believe that Cafe on the Beach was closing. It is such and Island icon. I have been going there for 23 years. When the boys and I lived on the Island, we rode our bikes there every weekend for breakfast. They especially loved the all you can eat pancakes. If possible, I might head over tomorrow for the Farewell Celebration. I am so sorry to hear about your ordeal with kidney stones. My mother just had a horrible bout with that and she too has a very high tolerance for pain. I knew it had to be bad when she did not object to going to the hospital and when she took the pain pills they gave her. She also had to have a stent because they would not pass.

I will pray it all passes very quickly and you can continue to enjoy your vacation.

~ Tracy

3 Debbie Smith July 30, 2010 at 12:01 pm

~praying~

4 jami-the blackberry vine July 30, 2010 at 12:16 pm

I hope you are feeling better soon. If you feel like it, I hope you’ll stop by my PRETTY PACKAGES PARTY next week. You’re so creative, I’m sure you have some super cute ideas for wrapping gifts! Be sure to grab a button for a little reminder!
smiles!

5 Rose from FineCraftGuild dot com July 30, 2010 at 3:41 pm

my goSH !!! that sounds absolutely HORRIBLE!! FORTUNATELY i don’t have any experience with it but I have in fact heard others tell me that kidtney stones are indeed as painful as childbirth.

i / we sincerely hope you are feeling better soon!

not that you are asking me for advice, but this is what comes to me to share/for you to consider, and that is to keep that body liquidated. drink loads of water and don’t eat anything that makes sugar in your stomach: soft drinks, all sweet foods, anything that contains flour, etc.
you’ll get not only feel great but look terrific also.

6 Traci July 30, 2010 at 3:42 pm

I’m soooo sorry!! I’ve never experienced a kidney stone & hope I never do. I hope you’re feeling better soon.

7 Mrs.B@salaknlemonlade.blogspot.com July 30, 2010 at 3:58 pm

Oh! It hurts me just to think about it…hope you are recovering quickly & that it never happens again!

8 a little bit of everything July 30, 2010 at 4:24 pm

As soon as I started to read your blog I just knew you were going to say “kidney stone”. I had one years ago when my youngest was 18 months old and had to call my husband home from work to take to the ER. I could barely move. The pain is indeed worse than childbirth because there is NO let up. They did put me on an IV for fluids and did a CT scan with dye which seemed to move the stone along because after that, the pain was gone. I have had the pain a couple of times since, gone to the ER and eventually the IV seems to do the trick. A scan does show a stone still present but it hopefully will remain “inactive”. Fluids seem to be the answer to moving the stone along and I hope that this works for you.

As an aside, I did take calcium during my pregnancies and nursing years and this can contribute to the formation of stones so I do not take any calcium anymore.

Hope you are feeling much better very soon.

9 Denise July 30, 2010 at 10:43 pm

Hope you feel better SOON! I’ll add you to my prayer list.

10 Pearl Maple July 31, 2010 at 5:57 am

You poor dear, those are painful things. My mother recently had an operation to remove one, worth the work to get those stones out of the way when you have summer to enjoy. Get well quick.