Homemade Hawaiian Rolls

by CHERI on April 16, 2012

Oh yeah I am sharing my recipe because they are so yummy.

Homemade Hawaiian Rolls

6 Cups All purpose flour
3 tsp yeast
1/2 C sugar
1/2 cup lukewarm water
1/4 tsp salt
3 Tbsp coconut oil
1 can PLUS 2 Tbsp of coconut milk
the remaining part of the 2nd can of coconut milk
1/3 C sugar
Extra sugar to sprinkle on top

• I used my Kitchenaid, if you don’t have one use a mixing bowl and hand mixer. You may have to mix by hand to get it completely mixed.
  • Sift the flour then make a well in the middle of your flour.
  • Pour the lukewarm water in the well, add the 1/2 C of sugar, then sprinkle the yeast on top. Let it set for about 5 minutes until the yeast is dissolved and starts to bubble.
  • Add the coconut oil and salt.
  • Add in the coconut milk and mix until the dough comes clean from the sides of the bowl.

Mix with the dough hook (if using a hand mixer you may have to use your hands).

Leave the dough in the bowl, covered,until it is doubled in size.  I set mine by the oven to speed up the process. (about 30 minutes)

Divide the dough into balls (it makes 18-20 rolls).  Place them in a 9x 13 baking pan.

Cover again, set by the oven  until doubled in size again.

Heat the oven to 375F.

Mix the rest of the coconut milk with the sugar and pour over the top of the rolls.

Sprinkle  sugar on top of the rolls and bake for 20-30 minutes or until golden brown.  The coconut milk will be absorbed into the rolls.

While hot, butter the top of the rolls.

Serve Warm (or cool) but I recommend warm and so does my family.

Follow Me on Pinterest They ARE that yummy!!

If you look up in my navigation bar you will see Cheri’s Projects & Favs–the drop down bar will have different categories.  I got my recipes done over the weekend.  Check them all out.

Head over to The DIY Club to check out my FAUX BEADBOARD ~ Yacht Club and Marina sign.

1 Johnnie April 16, 2012 at 1:46 pm

Oh my goodness, these are making my stomach growl! I will be using this recipe. Thanks, Cheri.
Johnnie recently posted..Upcycled Can & Leather PendantMy Profile

2 L. Hossler May 22, 2012 at 12:26 pm

What kind of yeast and how many oz can of coconut milk?

3 L. Hossler May 22, 2012 at 12:26 pm

What kind of yeast and how many oz in the can of coconut milk?

4 CHERI May 25, 2012 at 5:49 pm

I used 2 packages of yeast. I don’t have a can of coconut milk on hand right now but the can is probably around 15 oz.

5 jeannie July 16, 2012 at 11:53 am

THIS RECIPE LOOKS DELICIOUS..I TOLD MY DAUGHTER ABOUT IT AND I WILL ALSO BE TRYING IT…

6 Ardis W. August 6, 2012 at 2:35 pm

Mmmmm, Mmmmm, Mmmmm! This sounds Delcious..and actually sounds more like a recipe for the SAMOAN Sweet Rolls called Pagipopo (pronounced Pah-nee Poh Poh). The Kings Hawaiian Sweet Rolls that some Wal Marts and that sell don’t call for coconut oil or coconut milk, but Pagipopo definitely does and it is DELISH!!

7 CHERI August 6, 2012 at 3:34 pm

Ardis–the rolls sounds similar. I have never had the Pagipopo rolls but I think I would like them.

8 Donna August 12, 2012 at 6:44 pm

Where do you buy “coconut oil”?

9 CHERI August 13, 2012 at 7:32 am

I order mine from Tropical Traditions. I researched the best places to buy, ordered my first two bottles and we were so impressed I became an affiliate. I have ordered several times. WE just got 4 more bottles.

You can click that bottle of Tropical Traditions Coconut Oil to take you to their site. I have only purchased the Gold Label so I do not have an opinion to offer about the others. My family BEGS for me to make my Coconut Chicken–they love it. If they see that I have chicken out, they will ask “Are we having Coconut Chicken”.

It is good for your hair. There are a lot of health benefits to it as well.

10 AW August 13, 2012 at 11:32 pm

Ooooo, is your coconut chicken recipe posted on your blog? I have coconut oil but have only used it for a coconut bread recipe. This coconut chicken sounds Divine!!!

11 CHERI August 14, 2012 at 9:16 am

Absolutely. All of my projects and recipes are on the side bar. My coconut chicken recipe link is: http://itssoverycheri.com/2012/04/16/coconut-chicken/ I will also make it without the egg and bread crumbs and just add a little coconut oil to the pan while they brown and they are so yummy,