I got this cabinet door from a garage sale for FREE-yes you read that right. SCORE!!!
(insert eye roll from Prince Charming and a look that said “what are you going to do with ONE cabinet door?”
I had already ordered some of my vinyl from our awesome vinyl gal–Design Divas Vinyl Lettering and Wall Art
She also sells plain sheets of vinyl, so if you have your own Cricut or Silhouette you can order vinyl and still enter the DIY Club monthly contest. That’s right you don’t have to order one of her already made piece, although she has some great piece (even vinyl wallpaper)
She has ready made items in her shop, like this for $9.95
Or this for $21.95:
Or like I said before you can order sheets of vinyl
10 adhesive vinyl sheets* size 6×12 inches each for $7.95
She has other sizes and quantities available.
She sent these very easy to follow directions and a sample to try before you do your REAL vinyl (that would be that butterfly)
It was meant to be–it fit PERFECTLY on the cabinet door (insert Angels Singing)
So I set the vinyl aside and got busy on the cabinet door.
I tried applying a primer before sanding but cutting out that sanding step was not going to do the trick.
I knew better -Sanding was the way to go. For this job I used an electric sander.
Then I applied the primer (but only to the front)
Then I put on a coat of DecoArt Americana Desert Turquoise (isn’t that a gorgeous color?)
You should order a catalog because they have some awesome colors available, that are not in my stores and I have found a few things that are in the catalog but not on line.
Then I did a light coat of Spa Blue, letting some of the Desert Turquoise to show through.
Then I grabbed my GLAZING MEDIUM from DecoArt
I mixed it with the DecoArt Americana Graphite.
A little medium goes a long way.
I did long brush strokes the length of the cabinet and let it set up for a minute….
before I used my Rockler Rags to wipe it off.
I dry brushed a little of the DecoArt Bluegrass Green in a few areas
Dry Brushing is where you get a tiny dab of paint on your brush and then I brush most most of it off the paint brush, then to get even more off I dab it on a rag and you barely brush, soft strokes of color here and there.
I decided I wanted the outer edge darker, the middle more of a true color and the inside area more white washed. I went over the outer area with a light coat of Deco Art Americana Black Ebony and the inside with Deco Art Americana White Wash.
I then dry brushed in some light gray, white wash and more of the Desert Turquoise (all from DecoArt.)
OK so this is what I had in mind.
Once it was completely dry I got out the level and tape measure and got my lettering lined up–so easy. I made tiny little pencil marks so I could lay it back down in the exact spot that I wanted it, once I removed the backing.
I pressed over the letters with a debit card both so they would come off the paper easier and I used the debit card again to press the letters down.
Then I added the bottom line of text.
My final step was adding the white lettering. I LOVE how the loop of the “L” swoops up into the “S” and the loop of the ”Y” swoops down into the “l”. This was such a FAST and EASY PEASY project.
Have you done vinyl?
I like the option of doing it on boards. I know we will be moving and so I don’t want to place it on a wall and loose it.
Once settled in again I would like to do a few pieces on the walls.
I have a super fun and easy project that I have planned for Fall for you, with vinyl. I think it will come out super cute.
So, now the front is done but to hang it, I need to flip it over.
I grabbed my Rockler sanding BUG–so cool and easy to use. Don’t you love how it comes to a point. Getting in corners or working on detail makes it so much easier.
I needed to sand JUST THE AREA that I would be attaching my DISChanger.
If you go to the Dischanger it tells you how much weight each of the sizes can hold. These things are so strong. I love them for frames and wood pieces as much as plates. They are so much easier than those claw teeth that you have to hammer in.
I got the area sanded and cleaned up, got my dischanger wet and attached it. I let it set up over night and WAH LA!! it was done.
This was a super easy project and a great idea for a Christmas present for someone. I like the idea of Dischangers in some stockings as well.
I will be posting this over at the DIY Club inc The DIY Gals have some amazing projects over there. Go check them out.
I’m linking up to:
Under the Table and Dreaming
Funky Junk Interiors
I am along for the ride
A Little Lovely Blog
I heart Naptime
The Girl Creative
The DIY Showoff
Between Naps on the Porch
Super Stinky Boys
Making the World Cuter
Sumos Sweet Stuff
Mad in Crafts
Crafts Keep Me Sane
Creative 2x Mom
Crafting really awesome free things
Todays Creative Blog
All Thingz Related
Creating A House of Grace
Blue Cricket Design
Sew Much Ado
The Trendy Treehouse